Thursday, February 21, 2013

Home is wherever I'm with you.

I completed this little project like a month ago but I've discovered that it's really hard to type while holding a baby, so this is a little late. I was going to do one of these for Christmas, but by the time I got around to it Christmas was over, so I decided to do something non-holiday related. I love the song "Home" by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros (they're also really good live, just fyi), & I thought this would make a cute thing to put on a decoration. Turns out it's a pretty popular quote to use. I see it on pinterest a lot. But if you don't know the song, check it out. It's really good.

So anyway. I've made two of these! The first one I made is not very good. It's on my mantle. But my mom liked it so I made her one as well & I used thinner paint pens & it turned out a lot better. I bought the canvas at Joann's on sale, the spray paint that I used (& by "I used" I mean my husband used)  was found in husband's hobby room, & I bought the paint pens at Home Depot. They're the Sharpie brand. I used some crafty ones from Hobby Lobby on the first one I made, but I like the Sharpie ones a lot more. The paint comes out smoother & it's just an easier paint pen to use.

All I did to make this was spray paint the canvas black (again, husband did it for me because I'm not very good at even coats), & then I freehanded the writing. I had sketched it into a notebook a couple weeks before & then just went with that design. No big deal. Nothing flashy. Vinyl lettering, or whatever that is (I'm not the craftiest of people), would be a heck of a lot easier, but I like that I freehanded it. It never looks the same twice. That & it occupies more of my time, which at this point is good for me. The first picture is what the original looks like on my mantle. There's no close up. The second photo is the one I made for my mom. I took these with my cell camera at night so they're not very good quality photos, but you get the idea.

The first one (not so good) on my mantle.

The second one (better) I made for my mom.

It was a really simple project, & I really like the simplicity of it. I'm no artist, & I'm not much of a homemaker, but I'm pretty proud of this project. Maybe someday I'll become more talented & take on something more intense. But in the meantime I'm just trying to get my baby on a schedule. Priorities. 

That is all.

- Alexa

No comments:

Post a Comment